Potassium Sorbate CAS 590-00-1/24634-61-5
Factory Supply Potassium Sorbate CAS 590-00-1/24634-61-5 with Best Price
- Appearance: White to light cream powder
- Assay: 99. 0%min
- Packaging: 25kg/drum
- Sample: Available
Potassium Sorbate: The Complete Guide
Index of Potassium Sorbate Contents
Request A Free Quote
Basic Info of Potassium Sorbate
(E,E)-2,4-hexadienoate potassium salt; potassium arenate; potassium 2,4-hexadienoate, (E,E)-2,4-hexadienoate potassium salt; sorbic acid Salt; potassium 2,4-hexadienoate
What is Potassium Sorbate?
The chemical name of potassium sorbate is “potassium 2,4-vinylidene”, and its form is white to light yellow crystal particles or scaly crystals or powder, slightly odorless or odorless, easily soluble in water, 1% The pH value of the aqueous solution is 7-8, and it is also soluble in ethanol. It is flammable and hygroscopic. It is easy to be oxidized and discolored after being placed in the air for a long time. As a food preservative, it can inhibit the activity of dehydrogenase in microbial cells (especially mold cells), leading to the destruction of many important enzyme systems, effectively inhibiting the growth and reproduction of harmful microorganisms, thereby achieving the purpose of antibacterial and antiseptic .
After potassium sorbate is taken in by the body as an unsaturated fatty acid salt, it is finally oxidized into carbon dioxide and water. Its decomposition temperature is as high as 270℃, and its thermal stability is relatively good. The toxicity is only 1/40 of sodium benzoate, but its antibacterial and antiseptic effect is 5-10 times that of sodium benzoate. It can maintain the original food during the preservative process. The nutrient composition and color, aroma and taste remain unchanged. It is widely used in the food industry at home and abroad.
Potassium Sorbate Uses
- Potassium sorbate is a chemical food preservative. Its anti-microbial properties stop the growth and spread of harmful bacteria. When used correctly, it inhibits bacterial growth in colostrum and milk. Potassium sorbate preservative can also be used to preserve antibody levels in ‘gold’ (first milking) colostrum.
- Potassium sorbate in food.
Potassium sorbate is use as an antimicrobial preservative prevents the growth of mold, bacteria and fungi in cheese, dried meats, baked goods, jellies and syrups. As a preservative in dried fruit, potassium sorbate often replaces sulfur dioxide, which has an aftertaste. The addition of potassium sorbate to dietary supplements inhibits microbes and increases shelf life. Many personal care products use it to prolong shelf stability and prevent bacteria contamination. Acting as a wine stabilizer, it prevents yeast from fermentation past the wine’s bottling stage. By inhibiting the fermentation process, it ceases production of yeast.
- Potassium sorbate in skin care.
Potassium sorbate is not a broad spectrum preservative for cosmetic use and should be combined with other preservatives. If potassium sorbate is used as a preservative, the pH of the finished product may need to be reduced for potassium sorbate to be effective. This is because potassium sorbate is the inactive salt form of sorbic acid. To be useful, the pH of the formulation must be low enough to release the free acid for useful activity.
- Potassium sorbate for skin.
Potassium sorbate is a preservative that mainly fights molds and yeasts, and is used at a concentration of 0.025% to 0.2%. It is non-toxic, but may cause slight skin irritation.
- Potassium sorbate is a food grade preservative generally regarded as safe (GRAS) worldwide. It is the inactive salt of sorbic acid. It readily dissolves in water where it converts to sorbic acid, its active form, at a low pH. Sorbic acid is very pH dependent. While it shows some activity up to pH 6 (about 6%), it is most active at pH 4.4 (70%). At pH 5.0 it is 37% active. As sorbic acid, it is considered to be active against mold, fair against yeast and poor against most bacteria. Sorbic acid is an unsaturated fatty acid and as such is subject to oxidation (use of an antioxidant like Mixed Tocopherols T50 is recommended). It is also sensitive to UV light and may turn yellow in solution. Gluconolactone is reported to stabilize potassium sorbate against discoloration and darkening in aqueous solutions and may be useful in stabilizing sorbic acid in the water phase of a product.
The Manager has Something to Say
This is William, CEO of Zhishang Chemical Co., Ltd.
Welcome to visit our factory . As the top chemical manufacturer, we have been striving for product quality, innovation , R&D, and customer service for the past 7 years. In the next 10 years or even longer, we are committed to becoming the most reliable chemical supplier in the world , creating a well-known international brand trusted by customers, with the spirit of “one meter wide, ten thousand meters deep”, we continue to focus on product research and development, continue to focus on customer service, continue to improve the supply chain service system, to create a professional chemical supply service team, to achieve win-win long-term cooperation. Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions.
Phone: +86 176-5311 3209
WhatsApp: +86 176-5311 3209