The performance of glutaraldehyde
Glutaraldehyde is a colorless or slightly yellow clear liquid with a slight special pungent odor. It is soluble in water, ether, ethanol and other organic solvents. There are not many free forms in aqueous solutions, a large number of hydrates are in different forms, and most of them are in the form of cyclic hydrates. Glutaraldehyde is active in nature, easy to polymerize and oxidize, and will react with compounds containing active oxygen and nitrogen-containing compounds. The reaction with protein is mainly between the carbonyl group and amino group in the protein molecule. Among the known aldehydes, glutaraldehyde is the best protein cross-linking agent. Glutaraldehyde has excellent bactericidal properties. Glutaraldehyde has little effect on the activity of this enzyme, and most enzymes can be immobilized under controlled conditions, cross-linked without inactivation. Because of its many excellent properties, glutaraldehyde has attracted people’s attention and has been widely used.
Uses of glutaraldehyde
Glutaraldehyde is known as the third milestone in the development history of chemical disinfectants after formaldehyde and ethylene oxide disinfection. It has the characteristics of low methanol content, non-disambiguating ,non-poisonous, and non-eutrophication. Glutaraldehyde has a wide range of uses and used in petroleum exploration, medical and health, biochemistry, protein crosslinker and other fields. It is also widely used in instrument hygiene, leather processing, plastics, adhesives, fuels, fragrances, textiles, papermaking, printing, photography and other industries. It can also be used to synthesize a variety of organic reagents and prepare heterocyclic compounds.
- Bactericidal disinfectant, leather tanning agent, wood preservative, medicine and polymer synthetic raw materials, etc.
- Used as a fixatives for microscopy.
- Combine with chrome to tanning cow, pig, sheep clothing leather and glove leather. It is suitable for storage in low temperature (below 0℃) sealed and protected from light. This product has a strong irritation to eyes and skin. Wear glasses, gloves and other protective equipment when taking it. Can not be mixed with vegetable tanning agents and synthetic tanning agents containing phenols.
- Glutaraldehyde is a low-toxic chemical antiseptic bactericide. China stipulates that it can be used for the preservation of vegetables and fruits. The maximum use amount is 0.05g/kg, and the residual amount is not more than 5mg/kg.
- Glutaraldehyde is used for disinfection, pharmacy, leather tanning, and as a hardening agent for electron microscopes and color picture tubes.
- Glutaraldehyde can be used as a bactericide. There are mainly two types of commercially available glutaraldehyde: 2% alkaline glutaraldehyde and 2% storng acidity glutaraldehyde. Alkaline glutaraldehyde is often used for the sterilization of medical devices. Add an appropriate amount of sodium bicarbonate before use. After shaking, let it keep for 1 hour to determine the pH value. When the pH is 7.5-8.5, glutaraldehyde has the strongest bactericidal effect.