2-Ethylhexanoic Acid CAS 149-57-5
Factory Supply 2-Ethylhexanoic Acid CAS 149-57-5 with Best Price
- Appearance: Colorless liquid
- Assay: 99. 0%min
- Stock: In stock
- Sample: Available
2-Ethylhexanoic Acid: The Complete Guide
Index of 2-Ethylhexanoic Acid Contents
Request A Free Quote
Basic Info of 2-Ethylhexanoic Acid
isooctanoic acid; caprylic acid; butyl ethyl acetic acid; 2-ethylhexanoic acid, isooctanoic acid; 2-ethyl octanoic acid; ethyl nonanoic acid; 2-ethyl Hypocaprin
What is 2-Ethylhexanoic Acid?
2-Ethylhexanoic acid is a colorless to light yellow liquid with a mild odor. 2-Ethylhexanoic acid will burn though 2-Ethylhexanoic acid may take some effort to ignite. 2-Ethylhexanoic acid is slightly soluble in water. It is corrosive to metals and tissue. It is used to make paint dryers and plasticizers. Paint and varnish driers (metallic salts). Ethylhexoates of light metals are used to convert some mineral oils to greases. Its esters are used as plasticizers.
2-Ethylhexanoic acid can be used as an intermediate of paint and coating drying agent, alkyd resin modifier, production peroxide as a catalyst for polymerization reaction, lubricating oil ester and PVC stabilizer. It is widely used in the market.
2-Ethylhexanoic Acid Uses
- 2-Ethylhexanoic acid mainly used to prepare various metal salts as driers for coatings and paints, and its esters can be used as plasticizers and raw materials for carbenicillin.
- Most of 2-ethylhexanoic acid is converted into metal salts of zirconium, cobalt, molybdenum, zinc, etc., which are used as paint driers and heat stabilizers for polyvinyl chloride plastics; tin salts are used as additives for plastic pipes; barium salts, cadmium Salt is used in plastic calendering products and stabilizers.
- 2-Ethylhexanoic acid and its esters are also used in medicine, fungicides, metal lubricants, cosmetics, etc. Its glycerides are excellent plasticizers. 2-Ethylhexanoic acid is the raw material of medicine carbenicillin. It is also used in the synthesis of many dyes and perfumes.
- 2-Ethylhexanoic acid is intermediate for paint and coating driers, used as alkyd resin modifier, used in the production of peroxides as a catalyst for polymerization reactions (such as PE), used as lubricating oil ester and PVC stabilizer.
- Organic synthesis, solvent.
Preparation of 2-Ethylhexanoic Acid
Add 500g of isooctyl alcohol, 258g of potassium hydroxide, 10g of zinc formate to a 2000ml autoclave. The reactor is replaced with nitrogen twice to exhaust the air from the system. After sealing, the reaction is carried out at 230°C and 2Mpa. The reaction proceeds. After 6h, keep holding for 50min, then lower the temperature to below 160℃, then reduce the pressure in the kettle to normal pressure, add 400ml of distilled water and stir for 30min to obtain an aqueous solution of potassium isooctanoate.
Transfer the potassium isooctanoate aqueous solution to the flask, slowly add 212g of 94wt% formic acid solution under stirring, control the reaction temperature to 60℃, react for 30min, transfer to a separatory funnel, stand for 30min, separate the water phase by layer, Simple concentration to obtain potassium formate solution (the solution can be sold directly as a commercial product or concentrated to a certain concentration such as 74%); the oil phase is washed twice with 60g distilled water to obtain crude isooctanoic acid, and the unreacted alcohol is removed by vacuum distillation, and the product is obtained by rectification The finished product of isooctanoic acid is 542 g, and the weight yield based on isooctyl alcohol is 108.4%, and the molar yield is 97.92%.
The Manager has Something to Say
This is William, CEO of Zhishang Chemical Co., Ltd.
Welcome to visit our factory . As the top chemical manufacturer, we have been striving for product quality, innovation , R&D, and customer service for the past 7 years. In the next 10 years or even longer, we are committed to becoming the most reliable chemical supplier in the world , creating a well-known international brand trusted by customers, with the spirit of “one meter wide, ten thousand meters deep”, we continue to focus on product research and development, continue to focus on customer service, continue to improve the supply chain service system, to create a professional chemical supply service team, to achieve win-win long-term cooperation. Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions.
Phone: +86 176-5311 3209
WhatsApp: +86 176-5311 3209